What does Alaska bring to your mind? Wildlife, rainforest, native culture, natural phenomena are only a few words to describe our adventure to the Great Land.
For seven days we explored Alaska’s coastline onboard a cruise line. Our voyage of the Glaciers sailed us from Anchorage to Vancouver. We traveled in the cities of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and admired glaciers over Glacier Bay National Park and Hubbard Glacier. We were awed by the grandeur of the landscape, the natural wonder and glaciers panorama. A MUST SEE
History and Amazing Fact
- The word Alaska drives from the Aleut word “Alyeska” meaning “great land”.
- In 1867, Russia sold Alaska to the United States for $7.2 million.
- Alaska became the 49th State in 1959. It is a really large state, as a comparison, Alaska’s area equals 4 times California or 12 times New York!
- 100,000 glaciers are covering Alaska, that represents 5% of the state.
- Wildlife is rich and various: Grizzlies, wolves, bald eagles and humpback whales. As an example, it has the largest concentration of bald eagles in the world.
- The longest salmon run in the world is on the Yukon River and its 2 000 miles up.
2 thoughts on “Alaska the Great Land”
Magnifique photos, merci de nous faire partager ça.
Merci beaucoup Charlène! De nouveaux articles sur l’Alaska sont à paraître prochainement!