(2 minutes read)
Immerse yourself in surf culture and authentic beachy vibes discovering California Surf City. Welcome to Huntington Beach! Here is how to spend a perfect day.
A pinch of history
- The city is named after Henry E.Huntington (1850-1927), Pacific Electric Rail owner.
- Huntington Beach was officially called Surf City USA in 1990.
- George Freeth the “Father of Surfing,” was the first to surf at Huntington Beach in 1914.
- Hawaiian Duke Kahanamoku, popularized surfing in California in 1920s.
- The city hosts the U.S Open of Surfing competition since 1959.
Morning – Immerge into surf culture and lifestyle.
Start your day touring the International Surfing Museum. The small (free) museum is a glimpse into surf culture. Explore the origins of surfing, from Hawaii to Africa. You’ll be surprised by the different traditions and boards from around the world. Discover also Huntington Beach surfing history and how this sport became so popular.
Did you know? In 2015, 66 people broke the Guinness World Records surfing at once on the largest surfboard for 12 seconds!
After that, hit the surfing walk of fame. Renowned surfers ‘foot and hands prints are displayed on Main Street. Some of them are located inside the Huntington Beach Surf and Sport store.
Then, indulge in some shopping surf style.
Midday – Cheers
Get ready for a yummy lunch. You have plenty of eateries options: casual, with ocean view, gourmet, etc. Pick your dining style and “à table”!
We kept it traditional eating at an authentic Italian restaurant. We also adventure our palates with some waffles sandwiches. Both were delicious!
Afternoon – Beach vibes: sun, surf, and sand
Enjoy 10 miles of coastlines including five beaches:
- Huntington City Beach: the heart of the city with its famous pier.
- Sunset Beach
- Dog beach: the play off-leash for dogs.
- Huntington State Beach
- Bolsa Chica State Beach
For a beachy afternoon, walk the Pier, bike the Ocean Strand, surf, fish, and lay on the beach. These outdoor activities are perfect for an active and relaxing time.
Evening – S’mores and Sunset
Catch a sunset and have a beach bonfire. A few s’ mores, music and drinks among family and friends, this is how to end a perfect day in Surf City USA.
Sounds like a must Sea?
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
- Duration: I spent a day to discover it.
- Parking: a lot of street parking
- More information available at https://www.surfcityusa.com/
If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment and share with a traveler visiting Los Angeles.