1 minute read
First hike of the year 2022! Escondido Falls offers a 150-foot waterfall with a small pool, creek crossing, and ocean view in Malibu.
– Distance: 3.7 miles out and back.
– Difficulty: Easy
– Time: 1:30 hours
Note: I hiked in January 2022 after some rainy days in Los Angeles. And guess what? The creek crossing and waterfall are way more fun!
The trail starts at the parking lot. As soon as you engage Kanan Road, a paved road leading to private Malibu residences, you will enjoy a beautiful ocean view.
Less than a mile after, to your left, you will see the sign “Escondido Canyon Trail.” Descend the dry meadow and cross the first creek.
Then continue upstream through the woodland.
The hike is easy, shady, flat, and pleasant. It was an easy creek crossing after rainy days, and it was muddy.
Quickly you will reach the 150-foot waterfall and its small pool. Finally, a real waterfall in Los Angeles; I have been chasing them 😉
Note that the area is small, and it is not recommended to climb the waterfall.
Finally, retrace your steps to access the parking lot.
Article based on my hike in January 2022.
*COVID-19 update as of October 2022*
- Please check L.A. County’s health and safety protocols before your walk.
Address: Escondido Canyon Trail, Malibu, CA 90265.
– I recommend hiking early morning to avoid heat
– Park is open from 7 AM to dusk
– Parking at the Winding Way Parking Lot is limited ( $12), but you can park for free alongside the Pacific Coast Highway.
– Grab water, hiking shoes, and suncream
– More information at https://mrca.ca.gov/parks/park-listing/escondido-canyon-park/
Ready to hike Escondido Falls?
If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment and share it with a hiker and nature lover.