1 minute read
Lake Hollywood and scenic views. The Hollywood Reservoir is a short and flat walk offering panoramic sights over the artificial lake, the Hollywood Sign, and Los Angeles.
– Distance: 3,3 miles for the loop
– Difficulty: Easy
– Time: 1:00
There are 3 entrances: The North Gate, the East Gate, and the Weidlake Gate. I usually start the trail at either the North Gate or the East Gate.
Pass the gates to engage on a paved road [only the connection between the North gate & the East gate is a dirt sidewalk, hence be cautious with the traffic].
You will be surrounded by the blue lake, lush vegetation, pine trees, and the hills as you are marching toward the Mulholland dam.
The reservoir is protected by a fence, but it won’t spoil the view. On the dam, you will capture beautiful pics of the lake with the Hollywood Sign in the background.
Once you reach the dam, I recommend continuing the loop to vary scenery (you can also come back using the same path).
Keep your eyes open to observe animals – birds, snakes, and deer – either behind the fence or on the hills.
Article based on my walks from 2019 to 2021.
*COVID-19 update as of May 2021*
- Please wear a mask and practice a physical distance of 6 feet between yourself and others
- Please check L.A County’s health and safety protocols before your walk
Address: Hollywood Reservoir, Los Angeles, CA 90068
– Park open from sunset to sundown
– Parking: free street parking
– Grab water, hiking or tennis shoes, and sun cream.
– Limited shade and no water station
– More information at https://waterandpower.org/museum/Mulholland_Dam_and_Hollywood_Reservoir.html
Ready to hike the Hollywood Reservoir?
If you enjoyed this post, please leave a comment and share with a hiker.